Code of Conduct
Last updated: 28-09-2017.
ConFuzzled is a professional convention of friendly, respectful and open-minded members of the furry community and their friends. To avoid any misunderstandings about what kind of behaviour is acceptable at an event as big as ConFuzzled, you are advised to read and follow this code of conduct. Please keep in mind that these rules apply throughout the convention, including early arrival and late departure day(s).
The following general rule supersedes all others below and may be invoked at any time: Any action or behaviour that causes significant interference with convention operations, excessive discomfort to other attendees, or adversely affects ConFuzzled’s relationship with its guests, its venues or the public may result in permanent suspension of membership.
Registration and Badges
- You must be at least 18 years old on your first day at the convention.
- Only registered attendees may enter convention space, which will be clearly marked.
- Other hotel residents who are not registered with ConFuzzled may enter the public areas of the hotel according to their individual contract with the hotel.
- You are required to wear your badge prominently at all times, so that you can be identified and recognized as a member of the convention.
- If you are in fursuit, it is acceptable to carry your badge in a pocket or have your handler carry it on your behalf for costuming reasons, but you should be able to produce the badge if asked.
- Changing or covering up any information on your badge (i.e. by using stickers or drawings) is strictly forbidden.
- If you have lost your room key please contact the hotel front desk immediately. ConFuzzled does not accept any liability resulting from lost room keys.
- Treat others respectfully.
- ‘No’ means no. ‘Stop’ means stop. ‘Go away’ means go away. There will be NO discussion.
- It should go without saying that some people reserve any kind of physical contact to their close friends and family only. If you’re not sure whether somebody wants to be hugged, tackled or pounced please ask them first.
- Appropriate and respectful behaviour is expected, especially in the sauna and pool area.
- You are liable for any damage you might cause to property howsoever caused.
Clothing and Decency
- Wearing, displaying or trading costumes, accessories or other items made out of real fur is strictly forbidden.
- Nudity and suggestive clothing (or lack thereof) is not considered appropriate in public.
- Sexual behaviour that goes beyond a mere display of affection is not allowed in public.
- Display of any sign, symbol or clothing that is commonly associated with any organization, party or political ideology likely to offend other guests is not permitted.
- Display of adult-themed materials is not permitted in public areas of the hotel. This includes (but is not limited to): room signs, flyers, business cards, posters and drawings on public message boards.
- Blatant exposure of fetish gear is not permitted in public, even if it is part of a costume.
The definition of “adult themed” materials is the equivalent of what you can see on the magazine covers at an average newsagent.
Drawing the line for “fetish gear” is much harder, and the issue will always be highly subjective.
For example; There are a few things that we definitely do not want to see in public:
- No inflatable costumes
- No visibly “anatomically correct” costumes – wear clothes!
- No costumes or accessories commonly associated with age-play, pet-play, bondage or sadomasochism.
On the other hand, the following items are usually considered okay:
- Collars without a leash attached
- Leather wristbands, without “D-Ring“
- Accessories used in an “innocent” context, such as a dog harness that is part of a sled dog costume.
We may take the liberty to allow individual exceptions from the “fetish gear” rules if your outfit is exceptionally discreet, tasteful and/or good looking – but please don’t count on it.
If in doubt, ask by contacting security before the convention via Security@confuzzled.org.uk or during the convention at the security office or con ops desks.
Alcohol, Intoxication other Drugs
The entire hotel is classed as a licenced premises under UK law. As such the following rules apply.
- You are expected to drink responsibly. You will be held liable for what you say and what you do, even if intoxicated.
- If you appear to be intoxicated, the hotel staff are legally required to refuse service for further alcoholic beverages for yourself, or someone attempting to purchase on your behalf. Please respect this as they are performing their legal duty
- Persons who are intoxicated to the point of incapacity may be escorted to their rooms or expelled from the convention, at the discretion of the Head of Security.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere within the entire hotel building except designated smoking bedrooms. A considerable cleaning fee will be charged for smoking in a non-smoking room. The only permitted smoking areas are outside the hotel building. These rules also apply to vapes and e-cigs.
- The possession, consumption or sale of illegal substances (including, but not limited to: THC, LSD, Ecstasy, Amphetamines, etc.) will not be tolerated. Attendees found in possession of such substances will be handed over to the police and indefinitely banned from the convention.
- The abuse of any other substances (such as nitrous oxide, alkyl nitrites (“Poppers”), glue, “legal highs” etc.) as a drug may also get you immediately expelled and possibly banned from the convention.
General Hotel Rules
- The consumption of food or drink purchased outside of the hotel is not permitted, unless it is consumed in your private hotel room.
- It is strictly forbidden to throw, drop or push any objects out of windows, from balconies, galleries or similar parts of the building. Anyone doing so will be expelled from the convention.
- Attendees may not enter the service areas of the hotel. This includes all backstage areas, service elevators, the rooftops, emergency exits and all areas marked as “Staff Only”.
- Tampering with any fire-protection devices – in particular, disabling smoke-detectors or malicious triggering of fire doors or alarms – is illegal, therefore prohibited and will result in expulsion from the event and liability for any damages or associated costs.
- If you wish to wear Body Paint, it must be smear-safe and not transferable to any other persons or surfaces. General clothing decency rules still apply.
- Do not deliberately crack open glow-sticks or similar items containing dyes, sticky, or corrosive material.
- For safety reasons, it is not allowed to use glow-sticks as “poi” (spinning them at the end of strings) as they may crack open or slip, causing significant injury to others.
- The sale of any kind of merchandise outside the official Dealers’ Den requires explicit permission from the ConFuzzled Board of Directors.
- It is not permitted to bring any animals with you except for those which have been registered in advance according to the hotel Pet Passport scheme.
- The hotel sits within the Birmingham Airport flight restriction zone and the hotel has strict health and safety guidelines, as such drones and UAVs are strictly forbidden from being used.
- We reserve the right to ask you to turn down music (e.g. from Bluetooth speakers) or quieten down your activities if you are causing a disturbance to other guests. Repeated breaches may result in further action from convention security (e.g. formal warnings or even removal from the convention)
Hotel Rooms and Privacy
- You are expected to treat the hotel rooms and property of the hotel reasonably and with care. You will be held personally liable for any damage you may cause.
- It is strictly prohibited to allow non-residential attendees to sleep in your hotel room. This is termed “Ghosting” and can be considered an act of fraud. The convention has a zero-tolerance approach. Violators (e.g. the non-residential guest) may be expelled and held liable for compensation claims of the venue. Those who enable ghosting may be treated in the same fashion if it is considered they were complicit in the actions of the ghoster.
- If you do not wish for your room to be serviced, please ensure the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign is hung on your door. We request you make use of provided refuse sacks to dispose of any rubbish. – NOTE it is hotel policy for the cleaning staff to check a room if it has not been cleaned for over 2 days, this is to ensure a guest has not suffered a misfortune.
- Excessively dirty rooms may be subject to a cleaning charge from the hotel
- You are requested to ask your roommates for permission before running a room party or inviting guests.
- You must not disturb people in any other hotel rooms; Please keep the noise down after midnight. If you are asked to reduce noise more than twice you may be required to stop what you are doing. Ignoring this request may result in further action from convention security (such as formal warnings etc)
Hotel Pool and Sauna
- The hotel pool and associated facilities (sauna, steam room etc) may only be used while wearing appropriate swimwear.
- Please be considerate of other pool users and obey any directions from the lifeguards / pool staff as well as all instructional signage.
- You may not overcrowd the pool, try to create a vortex, or do anything else that might cause the pool to overflow.
- Entering any part of the pool area in fursuit is strictly prohibited.
- To avoid cultural misunderstandings, please make yourself familiar with local sauna customs and read the instructions posted in the wellness area.
- The general rules on decency and behaviour still apply while in the pool and health club.
Weapons, Lookalikes and dangerous Items
- All weapons, including look-alikes, replicas, tools and toys must be approved by the Convention Security immediately after your registration on site. To do so, please bring your weapon to the Con-Ops or Security office.
- For detailed information on what type of weapons are generally acceptable please refer to the official weapons-guide on the ConFuzzled website.
- Mock fights, swordplay, fire breathing or any other activities that may adversely affect bystanders or hotel property are not allowed without explicit permission from the Head of Security, who will appoint a staff member to take precautions and to observe the activity.
- The Head of Security or the Convention Operations Manager may require your weapon to be peace-bound. Tampering with the peace bonding is not allowed and will invalidate the clearance immediately.
- If in doubt prior to the convention, please email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the prop or weapon for further guidance
Photography and Videotaping
- ConFuzzled UK Ltd. grants you the right to take photos and videos at the convention for private and/or non-commercial purposes only.
- Photography, filming, or taping for the purpose of sale, publication, public media, dissemination or other commercial gain is expressly prohibited without written permission by ConFuzzled UK Ltd’s Board of Directors.
- Photography and filming is generally allowed in all common areas of ConFuzzled UK Ltd, however photography and filming is strictly forbidden in the Art Show, Dealers’ Den, Fursuit Lounge(s) and Live Auction events.
- Areas in which attendees have a reasonable expectation for privacy are off limits for you to record or take photographs. These include but are not limited to: Toilets and changing facilities, the executive lounge, the gym, sauna and pool areas and Staff only areas.
- Other restrictions or rules may apply for certain events, and will be announced on location.
- Official camera teams may record video and take photos in the public areas of the convention (identified by official ConFuzzled badges) and during events to be used in various publications, such as the convention’s official (or otherwise endorsed) highlight videos. You agree that videos and pictures taken of you can be used in such publications without release or compensation. A release will only be required for material filmed in situations where a reasonable expectation of privacy exists.
- All journalists, media photographers, and any other members of the press are required to display an official ConFuzzled Press Badge and be accompanied by a member of ConFuzzled staff at all times while in ConFuzzled common areas. Members of the press who have not been issued a Press Badge may not conduct interviews or take photographs, audio or video footage without an escort and may be subject to removal from hotel property. Media representatives who do not have Press Badges and are not escorted by ConFuzzled staff member should be reported to Convention Security staff or to Convention Operations immediately.
- Please do not take photographs or video of those who don’t wish to be photographed. If you’re asked to delete a file by someone in it, please respect their wishes.
The Bottom Line
- When in doubt, please ask – preferably before the convention starts by emailing email@example.com. We will gladly answer all your questions.
- These rules will not be debated during the convention. The Head of Security will, however, be available for you in case you feel you have been incorrectly or wrongly been accused of violating any of the rules.
- Exceptions from certain rules can be arranged in some situations – Please contact the Head of Security prior to the convention and ask if an exception is possible.
- Decisions by the Head of Security or the Board of Directors are final.
- The Head of Security reserves the right to impose any and all sanctions against violators of these rules or those persons involved in any other unacceptable behaviour. The definition of unacceptable behaviour remains at the sole discretion of the Head of Security and the Board of Directors. Sanctions may range from a friendly reminder to an indefinite ban from the convention.
That being said – In the past, ConFuzzled has generally been a quiet and pleasurable experience with only very few cases of misbehaviour, and we expect the convention to be as friendly and open as always. We hope you will have a great time!